When you’ve recently brought home your new puppy, one of the most important questions to ask your self is what food will you purchase.
Unless suggested otherwise by your vet, once you choose a dog food you should continue to feed your puppy the same dog food.
With so many different brands of dog food on the market the ability to choose a safe and healthy dog food that will ensure longevity can be daunting. Many companies can be very deceiving and hide odd or unhealthy ingredients to drive production costs down.
To weed through all of the brands, we have created a guide to the best dog food for your puppy.
Choosing a dog food brand for puppies
Below we have selected the top dog food brands for puppies based on AAFCO nutrition guidelines that deem dog food to be nutritionally complete as well as our own requirements that exceed AAFCO guidelines. These dog foods are commercially available and will be safe for your puppy and provide all the nutrition the puppy will need.
- No chemical preservatives that are known to be carcinogenic to dogs
- No mystery meat or generic meat labeling
- No artificial coloring of dog food
- High protein from real meat
- Ideal ratio of healthy fats and carbohydrates
- Nutritionally complete based of AAFCO guidelines
- Commercial available and practical pricing to ensure you keep feeding your dog a healthy food source
Blue Buffalo is an amazing reputable brand that dog lovers have trusted for years. Some of the great benefits of this puppy dog food include:
- Made with real chicken for strong muscle growth in puppies
- Grain free
- Contains life source bits (like little miniature vitamins for your puppy which contains antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals)
- Meets our standards for no artificial chemicals, mystery meat, and AAFCO guidelines
Taste of The Wild Grain Free Premium High Protein Dry Dog Food High Prairie Puppy – Roasted Venison & Bison
Taste of the Wild has been very successful in the past several years for providing high quality dog food packed full of great nutritious ingredients and works for even the pickiest puppies.
Some of the great highlights of this food include:
- First ingredient is real meat with no by products
- Broad range of antioxidants
- Contains probiotics! (this is the biggest plus of this brand, very rare to have live probiotics in dog food)
- Contains DHA for brain development
- Meets our strict standards for no grain, by products, dangerous chemicals or mystery meat
When it comes to dog food Orijen is at the top of its class. This company prides itself on not sacrificing quality and has remained this way for years.
Being an A+ dog food, the cost is somewhat more expensive but you will not find a better brand or be more satisfied, they really do standout from other brands in several unique ways.
Some of the highlights of their puppy food include:
- Food is designed to provide correct natural “prey” diet for puppies
- Contains: 85% meat 15% vegetables and 0% grain
- All ingredients are made within 48 hours after harvest, in USA
- Meat includes: Free range chicken, cage free eggs, hearing, flounder and mackerel
- Vegetables are brought in from local farms in Kentucky
- Nothing is outsourced, everything is made in house
Pretty impressive for a bag of dog food right?
We hope this article has provided you with options of authentically passionate companies that make dog food for puppies since there are so many brands of dog foods on the market and can be very deceiving.
We have chosen these selectively based off our requirements, and also the AAFCO to ensure your puppy has the best dog food to grow up strong and healthy.